Re: Restoring single database from an export dump of a cluster

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: "Bhella, Paramjeet" <PBhella(at)motorola(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Restoring single database from an export dump of a cluster
Date: 2007-04-12 01:12:02
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Thursday 05 April 2007 17:13, Bhella, Paramjeet wrote:
> Hi
>
> In our production environment we use pg_dumpall to backup all the
> databases of a cluster as there are 200+ databases in a cluster. Some
> times there is a situation where we have to restore a single database
> from a cluster. According to the postgres docs there is a pg_restore
> utiltity which can be used to restore individual tables, schemas,
> databases etc. But pg_restore requires the pg_dump to be in archive
> format. With pg_dump we can use option -Fc to make the dump in non-plain
> text format but I cannot use -Fc option with pg_dumpall. Is there a way
> to import a single database from an export dump of a cluster? Your help
> or guidance will be highly appreciated.

Currently there is no way to restore a single database from a pg_dumpall short
of heavy parsing of the dumpall script. What I usually recommend to folks
(and do with our servers @ omniti) is to have a script that does a
pg_dumpall -g for the global objects and then individual pg_dump -Fc's for
each database in the cluster.

--
Robert Treat