Re: can i use to_ascii function ?

From: Michael Fuhr <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org>
To: j n <jneuschld(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: can i use to_ascii function ?
Date: 2007-02-24 15:23:10
Lists: pgsql-admin

[Please reply to the mailing list so others can participate in and
learn from the discussion.]

On Sat, Feb 24, 2007 at 10:41:51AM +0100, j n wrote:
> maybe one more suggestion ...
> this type
>
> to_ascii(convert(lastname, 'LATIN2'), 'LATIN2')
>
> was not working fine unless i use ./configure --with-perl option i don't
> know if this is real reason ..., but i have not change anything else ...

The above expression has nothing to do with Perl unless perhaps you
have like-named PL/Perl functions in your database and you've set
search_path to find them ahead of the ones in pg_catalog, which is
unlikely. I suspect that the relevant difference between your test
environments is something else.

What exactly do you mean by "not working fine"? What did you do,
what were you expecting to happen, and what did happen? Can you
post a standalone test case?

What version of PostgreSQL are you running? What platform? What
are the server and client encodings? What are the server's locale
settings?

--
Michael Fuhr