Re: Windows installation suggestion

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Paul Lambert <paul(dot)lambert(at)autoledgers(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Windows installation suggestion
Date: 2007-02-12 08:56:59
Lists: pgsql-ports

On Mon, Feb 12, 2007 at 12:13:49PM +0900, Paul Lambert wrote:
> I'd like to make a suggestion for a change to the windows installation
> for Postgres if permissable... not sure if this is the right list to be
> posting to.
>
> Suggestion as follows:
>
> Have the install update the PATH environment variable to include the
> Postgres BIN directory to enable things to be run from commandline (such
> as psql) without having to switch into that directory.

We've talked about this before, and rejected it. The reason is that it
breaks when you have more than one version installed on the same system.

We've considered adding a checkbox (off by default) to the installation
that would set it, though, but the demand just hasn't been there yet ;-)

Does it not help to just use the "Command Prompt" shortcut on the
PostgreSQL menu in the start menu?

//Magnus