Re: Moving an existing database from an old version?

From: Aarni Ruuhimäki <aarni(at)kymi(dot)com>
To: howard(at)yankeescientific(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Moving an existing database from an old version?
Date: 2007-01-13 14:04:56
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Saturday 13 January 2007 14:11, Howard Eglowstein wrote:
> I've looked in /usr/local and /usr/share for places it might be and
> there doesn't seem to be any. Yet, pg_dump clearly knows how to find it.
>
> Last question for now (before I fire up the machine and try again): How
> does postgresql know where the data lives?

Not sure about Debian but on an Ubuntu machine locate (pgsql, .bki,
pg_hba.conf, postmaster) gives

/var/lib/postgresql/8.0/main/base/
/usr/lib/postgresql/8.0/lib/
/etc/postgresql/8.0/main/pg_hba.conf
/usr/share/postgresql/8.0/postgres.bki
/usr/lib/postgresql/8.0/bin/postmaster

You tell Postgres where the data dir is with initdb command. -D is the path to
the datadir.

--

Have fun,

Aarni