Re: Why enable_hashjoin Completely disables HashJoin

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Quan Zongliang <quanzongliang(at)yeah(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Why enable_hashjoin Completely disables HashJoin
Date: 2023-04-05 17:05:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu> writes:
> On Mon, 3 Apr 2023 at 19:32, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> Or we could rethink the design goal of not allowing enable_foo switches
>> to cause us to fail to make a plan. That might be unusable though.

> The only one that gives me pause is enable_seqscan. I've seen multiple
> sites that turn it off as a hammer to force OLTP-style plans.

Yeah, that. There are definitely people using some of these switches
in production, hence relying on the current (and documented) behavior.
On the whole I doubt we can get away with that answer.

> In that case we would ideally generate a realistic cost estimate for
> the unavoidable sequential scan to avoid twisting the rest of the plan
> in strange ways.

As I mentioned earlier, I think it might be possible to hack up the
seqscan case to avoid use of disable_cost pretty easily. It's far
easier to detect that no other plans are possible than it is once
you get to the join stage. Perhaps that's worth doing.