Re: User session information catalog views

From: Michael Fuhr <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org>
To: GURON Rawender <Rawender_GURON(at)rta(dot)nsw(dot)gov(dot)au>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: User session information catalog views
Date: 2006-09-26 03:14:57
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Tue, Sep 26, 2006 at 12:18:31PM +1000, GURON Rawender wrote:
> I am new to PostgreSQL and have long experience of administering Oracle
> database. I am looking for user sessions information in a PostgreSQL.
> Basically I am after dynamic performance views equivalent to Oracle's
> v$session, v$process, v$session_wait etc. Can someone guide me in right
> direction because I could not find any relevant information in the
> manual.

Sounds like you're looking for the pg_stat_activity view. See "The
Statistics Collector" in the "Monitoring Database Activity" chapter
of the documentation.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/monitoring-stats.html

To see command strings you'll need to enable stats_command_string
in postgresql.conf. This setting is off by default in 8.1 and
earlier; enabling it can have a noticeable performance impact.
Performance is improved in 8.2, which will enable stats_command_string
by default.

--
Michael Fuhr