Re: pg_dump password

From: Sean Davis <sdavis2(at)mail(dot)nih(dot)gov>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Q Beukes <pgsql-novice(at)list(dot)za(dot)net>
Subject: Re: pg_dump password
Date: 2006-09-13 11:40:19
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Wednesday 13 September 2006 06:59, Q Beukes wrote:
> Hey,
>
> We want to close up the db so people can't alter the database, so we
> thought of using
> a password. The problem now is that we can't have pg_dump run because it
> prompts
> for a password.

I'm not sure what you mean here? You can just enter the password?

> Are there any alternatives for closing up the database? Having host/user
> based trust
> isn't really an option because it's a web application, and if the web
> user can simply
> access the database, it would be all to easy to install a web pg admin
> package.

You can create as many users as you like and tailor your pg_hba file to suit
your needs. If you want to keep one user for pg_dump that uses trust-based
authentication on a single machine, go ahead. If you want to make a web user
that can connect from anywhere but needs a password, you can create that,
also.

> If not, is there a way to pass on a password to the pg_dump(all) utility?

Simply type it in or use trust-based authentication on the database server if
you must.

Sean