BUG #2611: 2 instalation probs: invalid directory and user account creation

From: "Paul Suckling" <paul(dot)suckling(at)galileo(dot)umh(dot)ac(dot)be>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BUG #2611: 2 instalation probs: invalid directory and user account creation
Date: 2006-09-08 16:18:09
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference: 2611
Logged by: Paul Suckling
Email address: paul(dot)suckling(at)crmm(dot)umh(dot)ac(dot)be
PostgreSQL version: 8.1.4-1
Operating system: Windows XP
creation
Details:

I used the file postgresql-8.1.msi to install the software from an
administrator account on an up to date Win XP, using the instructions at

http://pginstaller.projects.postgresql.org/

as suggested by the readme. At the time of installing the software, no other
accounts existed.

Problem 1)

During installation I chose to install the software to

C:\PostgreSQL\8.1\

I have ActivePerl installed (5.8.7), and at the "Enable procedural
languages" step I selected both "PL/pgsql" and "PL/perl".

I got to the installing step, and everything was progressing fine. Just
before the "Installation complete" window, I encountered a couple of error
messages telling me that it couldn't find certain perl related files at
under C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.1\ or something similar.

Problem 2)

During the "Service Configuration" step of the installation, I entered a
non-existant account name (Web) and left the account domain as is. I
expected the installer to create an account for me.

I believe an error must have occured when doing so. I can see the account
directory under

C:\Documents and Settings\Web\

However, when I log off windows, it doesn't appear on the log on screen.
Furthermore, when I investigate "User Accounts" from the control panel, it
doesn't exist there either. I cannot therefore log onto the account, nor
delete the account. If I try to create an account with the same name, it
tells me that one already exists.

Please can you tell me what I should do to resolve this most annoying
problem? I tried uninstalling postgreSQL, but, as I guessed it wouldn't, it
didn't delete this ghost account.

Please let me know if there is any other information I can provide which
will help you.

Thank you,

Paul