int4 to varchar length (pgadmin3) issue

From: <operationsengineer1(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: int4 to varchar length (pgadmin3) issue
Date: 2006-08-31 17:21:21
Lists: pgsql-novice

hi all,

i initially set up my document revision column as int4
and used integers to define my revisions. somebody
didn't like integer revisions and requested that i go
to alpha revisions.

when i change (in pgadmin3) the int4 columns to
varchar, everything goes well in pgadmin3 up until the
grayed out box for the length of the varchar stays
grayed out.

iow, i want to limit the the newly converted varchar
revision to 2 characters, but can't due to the grayed
out boxes in pgadmin3.