Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Thought provoking piece on NetBSD

From: Bill Moran <wmoran(at)collaborativefusion(dot)com>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org, PgSQL General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Thought provoking piece on NetBSD
Date: 2006-08-31 19:21:33
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

> >> On the other hand, we do suffer from the locked project problem (the
> >> recent recursive query debacle is a perfect example).
> >
> > Yep, but fortunately this problem doesn't happen to us often.
>
> I think this might happen more then you think. I ran into it with Alvaro
> just a couple of days ago. I brought up 3/4 items I thought he might be
> interested in working on for 8.3.
>
> The immediate response was well that is such a person's or that a person's.
>
> Now, all we have to do is actually communicate ;) to make sure that we
> move forward to eliminate the lock and we will. However it does point to
> the fact that not everyone is going to take that extra step, some are
> going to assume that it is being worked on.

In my experience, some of this is culture. Some groups communicate more
easily than others. When people don't communicate well, stuff has to
be done to encourage it. At the extreme end, stuff has to be done to
enforce it.

I think it's best if it happens naturally, but you can't always count on
that.

--
Bill Moran
Collaborative Fusion Inc.