Re: Postgres Process in Kernel Mode?

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: moises <moises(at)cedaivc(dot)co(dot)cu>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgres Process in Kernel Mode?
Date: 2006-07-31 21:06:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

moises wrote:

> 1-Can any body say me what libs use postgres for make system calls, for
> example LIBC?

libc and a lot others.

> 2-Can any body talk me if some postgres process can run in Linux kernel
> space?

No.

> 3- Some body knows if exist some projects that ports postgres process on
> Linux kernel space.

No that we've heard lately. (But I remember a guy with a .cu domain
asking not long ago, maybe it was you.)

> I was found C instructions like Printf, that's prohibitive for Linux kernel
> applications, for example in kernel mode we use printk.

That's because Postgres is a user-space program and there are no
intentions to change that.

> I suppose that postgres are ported in a user space only. I'm Ok?

Yes.

If you prefer spanish, I suggest you subscribe to the pgsql-es-ayuda
list. There is at least one Postgres hacker there.