Re: Relation locking and relcache load (was Re: Going for "all green" buildfarm results)

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Relation locking and relcache load (was Re: Going for "all green" buildfarm results)
Date: 2006-07-31 14:18:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I think the best solution for this might be to put the responsibility
> for creating system catalogs' toast tables into the bootstrap phase
> instead of making initdb do it afterwards. This would be a Good Thing
> anyway since currently we are incapable of dealing with bootstrap-time
> insertions of values large enough to need toasting. I'm imagining
> adding macros to the include/catalog/*.h files along the lines of

Would this make it much more difficult to support user-defined indexes
on system catalogs? It looks like we don't support that at the moment
but as we see larger Postgres installations it seems likely we'll need
to. I don't really consider myself a very heavy Postgres user but I've
got databases w/ > 30k entries in pg_class and near 300k in
pg_attribute... Those aren't shared but it sounds like you were talking
about all of them above anyway.

Thanks,

Stephen