Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Time to scale up?

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org, Thomas Hallgren <thomas(at)tada(dot)se>
Subject: Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Time to scale up?
Date: 2006-07-24 14:35:08
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-www

On Mon, 24 Jul 2006, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> Am Montag, 24. Juli 2006 13:12 schrieb Thomas Hallgren:
>> A resolution to the problem would be to allow the core team to scale up.
>> More people are needed to support a more comprehensive set of features.
>> So why not create specialized teams that are part of the
>> core-development trust?
>
> I don't think trust or scaling or implementation languages are the real issue.
> It has been established that for a variety of reasons, smalls tools that can
> be combined work better than one big tool. That is why the Linux kernel does
> not contain a windowing system.
>
> The issue you are facing is an issue of perception. There are a number of
> ways to fix that, only one of which is including PL/Java into the PostgreSQL
> source distribution. I was on the other side of the debate when we kicked
> out the JDBC driver, but today I think this was the best thing that could
> have happened, to both sides. If you see any measures that we could take to
> make PL/Java look as good in the public eye as the JDBC driver -- certainly
> that is a reasonable comparison -- then I'm sure we can address them.

One thing that has been talked to death many times, but nobody ever seems
to come up with a solution to, is pgFoundry, and how badly it is
advertised / promoted ... so software packages over there seem relegated
to a sort of 'no mans land' ...

I was just thinking of it, and kinda surprised nobody else has ... why not
add a section to http://www.postgresql.org's main page for it? We have
two sections now: Latest News and Upcoming Events ... why not add a third
one under that includes Latest News from pgFoundry? that way, when a
release happens, or project is added, its very prominently displayed on
our main page?

----
Email . scrappy(at)hub(dot)org MSN . scrappy(at)hub(dot)org
Yahoo . yscrappy Skype: hub.org ICQ . 7615664