BUG #2483: Wrong error report about missing entry in from clause

From: "Klaus Guntermann" <guntermann(dot)kl(at)pvw(dot)tu-darmstadt(dot)de>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BUG #2483: Wrong error report about missing entry in from clause
Date: 2006-06-16 10:05:04
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference: 2483
Logged by: Klaus Guntermann
Email address: guntermann(dot)kl(at)pvw(dot)tu-darmstadt(dot)de
PostgreSQL version: 8.1.4
Operating system: Linux
Details:

Hi,
with the following simplified example I get a false error message in the
second select statement, which is almost like the first one. The german text
of the error message is:
FEHLER: fehlender Eintrag in FROM-Klausel fr Tabelle dummy
The difference is that in the second statement all columns are qualified by
the table name.
The example is simplified from a larger select and normally one would not
phrase the selection this way. But nevertheless I think both versions of the
statement should work.
Thank you very much for your work on PostgreSQL!
Best regards,
Klaus

create temporary table dummy (myfield integer);
insert into dummy (myfield) values (1);
insert into dummy (myfield) values (2);

select myfield from dummy where myfield=1 union
select myfield from dummy where myfield=2 order by myfield;

select dummy.myfield from dummy where dummy.myfield=1 union
select dummy.myfield from dummy where dummy.myfield=2 order by
dummy.myfield;