Re: OT - select + must have from - sql standard syntax?

From: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>
To: Antoine <melser(dot)anton(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: OT - select + must have from - sql standard syntax?
Date: 2006-06-13 21:02:47
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Tue, Jun 13, 2006 at 02:43:45PM +0200, Antoine wrote:
> Hi,
> I don't have a copy of the standard on hand and a collegue is claiming
> that there must be a from clause in a select query (he is an oracle
> guy). This doesn't seem to be the case for postgres... does anyone
> know?

Dunno, but I know that other databases (at least DB2) don't require FROM
either. In Oracle, if you want to do something like

SELECT now();

you actually have to do

SELECT now() FROM dual;

where dual is a special, hard-coded table in Oracle that has only one
row. Personally, I find their approach to be pretty stupid.