Re: why is bitmap index chosen for this query?

From: Stephen Byers <stephenabyers(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: "Steinar H(dot) Gunderson" <sgunderson(at)bigfoot(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: why is bitmap index chosen for this query?
Date: 2006-05-18 16:41:23
Lists: pgsql-performance

"Steinar H. Gunderson" <sgunderson(at)bigfoot(dot)com> wrote:
It sounds like PostgreSQL badly overestimates the cost of the index scan.
Does the table perchance fit completely into memory, without
effective_cache_size indicating that?

Don't know the exact way to answer your question, but my initial instinct is "no way."
select pg_relation_size('packets');
pg_relation_size
19440115712

19GB. So it's a big table. The query I submitted earlier returns about 13M rows and the table currently has about 38M rows.