Re: binary cursor returning truncated data

From: Michael Fuhr <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org>
To: Eric Mauvière <e(dot)mauviere(at)geoclip(dot)fr>
Cc: pgsql-php(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: binary cursor returning truncated data
Date: 2006-04-16 16:39:32
Lists: pgsql-php

On Wed, Apr 12, 2006 at 04:21:49PM +0200, Eric Mauvire wrote:
> i am trying to retrieve binary content of a bytea field (or postgis
> geometry field) with a binary cursor with PHP :
>
> $sql="BEGIN;DECLARE mycursor BINARY CURSOR FOR SELECT shape FROM $layerName; fetch all in mycursor;"
> ....pg_query...
>
> But my shape field shows only two bytes of data.

The PHP source code (ext/pgsql/pgsql.c) doesn't have any calls to
PQfformat or PQbinaryTuples so PHP appears to expect text data.
Looks like you'll have to fetch data in text format and use
pg_unescape_bytea.

Maybe the PHP developers would consider adding support for binary
data (or maybe they already have and rejected the idea; I don't
know). Try asking on a PHP mailing list.

--
Michael Fuhr