Change database encoding

From: "Keith Worthington" <keithw(at)narrowpathinc(dot)com>
To: "PostgreSQL Novice" <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Change database encoding
Date: 2006-03-28 15:04:28
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi All,

When I originally built a database I did not understand the ramifications of
choosing the encoding. Not knowing any better I chose SQL-ASCII. Since
upgrading pgadmin3 to the latest release I am cautioned that I should switch to
UNICODE.

How do I go about changing the database encoding?

Is UNICODE the 'best' choice for a general purpose database?

TIA

Kind Regards,
Keith