[SUGGESTION] CVSync

From: "Joel Miller" <joelwmiller(at)sbcglobal(dot)net>
To: "PostgreSQL Hackers List" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: [SUGGESTION] CVSync
Date: 2006-03-23 21:32:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello,

I've been trying to get a local mirror of the cvs repository, but my
connection attempts using rsync to cvsup.postgresql.org are always
refused when I try to actually retrieve the pgsql-cvs collection. I tried
to use rsync because cvsup is simply not an option for me.

I'd like to suggest that CVSync (www.cvsync.org) be added as a means for
the public to obtain a local mirror of the cvs repository. It builds on
most every platform (it's written in C, no modula-3 required) and has the
advantage of caching directory scan info to reduce server load -- The
cached scan info is sent to the client, which compares it to its own
cached scan info to decide what to download (You can set up a cron job to
periodically scan the repository directories, or even set up a
sophisticated system that would only scan after commits are made.). It
also sends only the new diffs (optionally compressed) from the ",v" files
that are needed to bring the clients' repository mirror up to date.

Thanks!
Joel