WIP: splitting BLCKSZ

From: Mark Wong <markw(at)osdl(dot)org>
To: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: WIP: splitting BLCKSZ
Date: 2006-03-22 18:42:39
Lists: pgsql-patches

I proposed to explore splitting BLCKSZ into separate values for logging
and data to see if there might be anything to gain:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2006-03/msg00745.php

My first pass was to do more or less a search and replace (attached) and
I am already running into trouble with a 'make check' (below). I'm
guessing that when initdb is run, I'm not properly saving the values
that I've defined for DATA_BLCKSZ and possibly LOG_BLCKSZ.

So I'm hoping someone could give me a pointer and I thought it might be
a good idea send something out.

Thanks,
Mark

-----

Running in noclean mode. Mistakes will not be cleaned up.
The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user "markw".

The database cluster will be initialized with locale C.

creating directory /home/markw/shell/src/pgsql/src/test/regress/./tmp_check/data ... ok
creating subdirectories ... ok
selecting default max_connections ... 100
selecting default shared_buffers/max_fsm_pages ... 3000/150000
creating configuration files ... ok
creating template1 database in /home/markw/shell/src/pgsql/src/test/regress/./tmp_check/data/base/1 ... PANIC: database files are incompatible with server
DETAIL: The database cluster was initialized with DATA_BLCKSZ 0, but the server was compiled with DATA_BLCKSZ 8192.
HINT: It looks like you need to recompile or initdb.
child process was terminated by signal 6

Attachment Content-Type Size
pgsql-c-separate-block-size.patch text/x-patch 118.5 KB