Re: [HACKERS] Online backup vs Continuous backup

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-documentation <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Online backup vs Continuous backup
Date: 2006-03-02 19:29:50
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Tom Lane wrote:
> >> This addresses the technical workings of the various backup systems.
> >> The fact that it is or isn't on-line, hot, continuous, fast, or flexible
> >> is secondary.
>
> > To me, the continuous activity is the significant feature of that backup
> > method. I chose "Continuous Backup" because it is the continual
> > activity that is significant. "Continuous Archiving"?
>
> I like Peter's suggestion as-is; or "WAL Archiving". I don't like
> applying adjectives that are not specific to the particular method.
> That will just create more confusion down the road if we add another
> feature that could also be called "continuous archiving".

I do like "WAL Archiving" but I am concerned that it references a
specific internal implementation detail (WAL). Is that OK? Also, I am
concerned that is specificially talks about archiving the wal files and
is not general enough to include the file system backup that is also
necessary.

--
Bruce Momjian http://candle.pha.pa.us
SRA OSS, Inc. http://www.sraoss.com