BUG #2257: Can' stop server while autovacuum is running

From: "Evgeny Gridasov" <eugrid(at)fpm(dot)kubsu(dot)ru>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BUG #2257: Can' stop server while autovacuum is running
Date: 2006-02-13 15:01:36
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference: 2257
Logged by: Evgeny Gridasov
Email address: eugrid(at)fpm(dot)kubsu(dot)ru
PostgreSQL version: 8.1.2 CVS
Operating system: Linux Debian
Details:

I needed to shutdown my server urgently, but I was unable to stop server by
pg_ctl -m fast.
Examining process list I found out that an autovacuum process is still
active.

autovacuum process (when active) did not respond to kill (TERM). Only kill
-9 helped to stop autovacuum process.