Re: Slow query through ODBC

From: Ludek Finstrle <luf(at)pzkagis(dot)cz>
To: Arnaud Lesauvage <thewild(at)freesurf(dot)fr>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>, pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org, Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>, Ludek Finstrle <luf(at)pzkagis(dot)cz>
Subject: Re: Slow query through ODBC
Date: 2006-02-10 11:38:03
Lists: pgsql-odbc

> >>Yes, I really don't understand either !
> >>But even though all use libpq.dll, they might not handle the
> >>data the same way. Mayboe ODBC needs to check for data type,
> >>field length, etc... and the other frontends do not need this
> >>kind of information ?
> >
> >Hm. That's an interesting observation. When you do a query with ODBC, does
> >it do any "extra queries" automatically on the system tables? Enable
> >statement logging on the server and see if something weird shows up.
>
> No, no query on the system tables.
> I am not very familiar with the log though, maybe Ludek could tell
> us more about that ?

If I remember it right we measure the time problem in LIBPQ_send_query
function in connection.c (I'm not sure with filename).
Magnus, could you take a look at the code? Maybe you find the problem.
I'm sorry I have no time for it today.
BTW we change the code between 08.01.0102 and 08.01.0200 from PQexec
to PQsendquery and PQgetresult (I write this from my head so it could
be little different names). But I think Arnaud has problem even with
08.01.0102.

Regards,

Luf