Re: Shared memory and memory context question

From: Richard Hills <richard(at)playford(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: "Mark Woodward" <pgsql(at)mohawksoft(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Shared memory and memory context question
Date: 2006-02-06 13:42:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon February 6 2006 05:17, Mark Woodward wrote:
> I posted some source to a shared memory sort of thing to the group, as
> well as to you, I believe.

Indeed, and it looks rather interesting. I'll have a look through it when I
have a chance...

So, after more discussion and experimentation, the possible methods in order
of +elegance/-difficulty/-complexity are:

=1. OSSP supported shared mem, possibly with a pg memory context or Mark's
shared memory manager.
=1. Separate application which the postgres backends talk to over tcp (which
actually turns out to be quite a clean way of doing it).
3. Storing rules in db and reloading them each time (which turns out to be a
utter bastard to do).
4. Shared memory with my own memory manager.

I am *probably* going to go for the separate network application, as I
believe this is easy and relatively clean, as the required messages should be
fairly straightforward. Each postgres backend opens a connection to the
single separate "rules-server" which sends back a serious of commands
(probably SQL), before the connection is closed again.

If this is Clearly Insane - please let me know!

Regards,

Richard