Re: Multiple logical databases

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Mark Woodward <pgsql(at)mohawksoft(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Multiple logical databases
Date: 2006-02-02 16:21:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Mark Woodward wrote:

> Seriously? No use at all? You don't see any purpose in controlling and
> managing multiple postgresql postmaster processes from one central point?

I'd rather spend effort in fixing the problems that arise from big
databases; for example Hannu's patch for concurrent vacuum attacks one
of the problems that IMHO are important. More elaborate partitioning
does too.

Anyway, if you're very excited about it, I don't think it's impossible
to code a super-postmaster that would redirect a client to the real
postmaster. I even think it can be done without modifying the regular
postmaster.