Re: Failed install - libgen.so doesn't exist

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: flyvholm(at)fys(dot)ku(dot)dk, pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Failed install - libgen.so doesn't exist
Date: 2006-02-01 16:13:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-ports

Tom Lane wrote:
> > OK, so we should remove from configure.in?
>
> > AC_CHECK_LIB(gen, main)
>
> I'm just wondering how many of those AC_CHECK_LIB calls are needed only
> on platforms that no one uses anymore ...

I didn't want to mention that, but one big problem we have is that we
have no way to know what platforms are still using which configure and
pgport functions. It is very possible that 25% of what we have isn't
needed anymore, but we have no way of knowing which part.

We can start removing stuff and find out who complains in 8.2 but that
seems error-prone. My guess is that we are going to have to wait for
our useless percentage to reach 50% and then we comment out everything
and run it through the build farm until they all work, then run a
release with heavy beta testing.

However, at this stage, I don't think the cost/benefit is worth it.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us