Re: stats for failed transactions (was Re: [GENERAL] VACUUM Question)

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Matthew T(dot) O'Connor" <matthew(at)zeut(dot)net>, Michael Fuhr <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org>, Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: stats for failed transactions (was Re: [GENERAL] VACUUM Question)
Date: 2006-01-27 15:53:38
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

> I think this is the fault of the stats system design. AFAICT from a
> quick look at the code, inserted/updated/deleted tuples are reported
> to the collector in the same way regardless of whether the sending
> transaction committed or rolled back. I think this is unquestionably
> a bug, at least for autovacuum's purposes --- though it might be OK
> for the original intent of the stats system, which was simply to track
> activity levels.
>
> Any thoughts about how it ought to work?

I don't remember exactly how it works -- I think the activity (insert,
update, delete) counters are kept separately from commit/rollback
status, right? Maybe we should keep three separate counters: "current
transaction counters" and "counters for transactions that were
aborted/committed". We only send the latter counts, and the former are
added to them when the transaction ends.

--
Alvaro Herrera http://www.advogato.org/person/alvherre
"Aprende a avergonzarte más ante ti que ante los demás" (Demócrito)