BUG #2189: Prepared Statement is not parsed correctly

From: "Kris Senden" <kris(dot)senden(at)realsoftware(dot)be>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BUG #2189: Prepared Statement is not parsed correctly
Date: 2006-01-20 08:37:53
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference: 2189
Logged by: Kris Senden
Email address: kris(dot)senden(at)realsoftware(dot)be
PostgreSQL version: 8.0.2
Operating system: Windows XP/2K/2003
Details:

Recently we discovered a defect in the jdbc driver of PostgreSQL. It is
detected in version 8.1dev-401 and also found in all later versions. The
problem is that we had a faulty SQL statement in our code that was partly
executed by the jdbc-driver without any warning or error log.
The statement is SELECT * FROM POSTransaction WHERE DatTransEnd = (SELECT
MAX(DatTransEnd) FROM POSTransaction WHERE IdtCheckout = 9 AND FlgTraining =
?) AND IdtCheckout = 9 AND FlgTraining = ?) ORDER BY HouTransEnd DESC. As
you can see this statement contains 1 closing bracket ('(') too much.
However while debugging the driver I saw that the problem is caused in
method AbstractJdbc2Statement.parseSql(String, int, StringBuffer, boolean)
throws SQLException. In that method a counter is activated which holds the
number of open brackets. Each time it encounters a ( it adds one and each
time it encounters a ) it substracts one. When the counter's value is less
than zero, the parsings stops.
In our case, this resulted that our sql statement was shortened to SELECT *
FROM POSTransaction WHERE DatTransEnd = (SELECT MAX(DatTransEnd) FROM
POSTransaction WHERE IdtCheckout = 9 AND FlgTraining = ?) AND IdtCheckout =
9 AND FlgTraining = ?
When executing the same query in pgAdmin III Query, I got a syntax error :
ERROR: syntax error at or near ")" at character 136. I would expected to
have the same syntax error using the prepared statement.