BUG #2177: (minor:) pgsql: Trailing semicolon on \d treated as argument

From: "Giles Morant" <giles(dot)pg(at)chaletpomme(dot)com>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BUG #2177: (minor:) pgsql: Trailing semicolon on \d treated as argument
Date: 2006-01-17 20:21:49
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference: 2177
Logged by: Giles Morant
Email address: giles(dot)pg(at)chaletpomme(dot)com
PostgreSQL version: 8.1.1
Operating system: Linux (Gentoo)
argument
Details:

When describing tables/view/indexes using \d, a semi-colon is optional:
e.g. \d users;
or: \d users
Both give the same (correct) results.

However, if there is a space between "users" and the semi-colon, the
semi-colon is then treated as an argument and this occurs:
\d users ;
<cut lots of table info>
\d: extra argument ";" ignored

The semi-colon should be ignored silently, in my view- "SELECT 1+2 ;" for
example doesn't raise an alert.

I searched the mailing lists to find a previous report of this very minor
bug; the closest I found was some discussion in 2001 of stripping
semi-colons from the end of such strings but the discussion seemed to stop
with no resolution.

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-patches/2001-09/msg00285.php
Fri, 28 Sep 2001 15:56:07 -0400 (EDT)

Thanks,