Re: [Bizgres-general] WAL bypass for INSERT, UPDATE and

From: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>
To: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Qingqing Zhou <zhouqq(at)cs(dot)toronto(dot)edu>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [Bizgres-general] WAL bypass for INSERT, UPDATE and
Date: 2005-12-27 17:07:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Dec 24, 2005 at 02:01:17AM -0500, Greg Stark wrote:
> But I like the other user's suggestion too. If there's a standards blessed
> feature to have temporary tables that are visible in other sessions then
> perhaps that's what we've arrived at from another direction.

Having a temporary table that is visible to all sessions would have a
lot of use besides just ETL (the E stands for Extract, btw) operations.
One example is storing session data for a webapp; most people would
happily trade off losing that data on a database restart for the
increased performance of not logging.