Re: ODBC connection string, MS Access

From: Ludek Finstrle <luf(at)pzkagis(dot)cz>
To: Zlatko Matić <zlatko(dot)matic1(at)sb(dot)t-com(dot)hr>
Cc: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ODBC connection string, MS Access
Date: 2005-12-23 10:05:17
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-odbc

Thu, Dec 22, 2005 at 09:57:23AM +0100, Zlatko Matić napsal(a):
> Hello.
>
> Could you, please, help me to optimize my connection string (MS Access 2003, PostgreSQL 8.1.1. and psqlodbc-08_01_0102)?
>
> ' PROTOCOL A1

A1 is obsolete. It isn't used anyway in driver.

> ' SOCKET A8

I think this is obsolete too but I'm not sure. I don't see this option
yet.

> ' USEDECLAREFETCH B6

When this is enabled and Server side prepare is disabled driver
use this:
It doesn't use query as driver get it. It declare cursor with query.
So no whole result is fetched in SQLExecute or SQLDirect.
It needs fetch command (with number of row specified) to get it
from backend.
Please refer to SQL command CREATE CURSOR in PgSQL documentation.
It could be performance lost in some cases but it could be speed
up in other cases.

> ' PARSE C0

If this is enabled it supports parsing SQL statement in SQLColAttribute.
If I know it enable support for query like it the result column could
be null and so on. But this could be performance lost if you don't need it.

> ' CANCELASFREESTMT C1
> ' EXTRASYSTABLEPREFIXES C2
>
> There are some options I don't understand, for example
> "Parse statements" and "Fetch/Declare" and don't know how would
> it affect performances...

List them. I don't want describe them all.

> bigger usernames and passwords. Therefore I would like to remove
> some unneccessary parameters, if possible.
> Which parameters could be safely removed?

All for which you have used default values. Enable mylog output and
try. There is line with connection string which is really used
in the mylog output.

Regards,

Luf