Re: What's the best hardver for PostgreSQL 8.1?

From: Juan Casero <caseroj(at)comcast(dot)net>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: What's the best hardver for PostgreSQL 8.1?
Date: 2005-12-23 04:10:10
Lists: pgsql-performance

Ok thanks. I think I will go with 64 bit everything on the box. If I can get
the Sun Fire V20Z then I will stick with Solaris 10 x86 and download the 64
bit PostgreSQL 8.1 binaries from blastwave.org. I develop the PHP code to
my DSS system on my Windows XP laptop. Normally, I test the code on this
laptop but let it hit the live database when I want to run some tests. Well
just this afternoon I installed PostgreSQL 8.1.1 on my windows laptop and
rebuilt the the entire live database instance on there from a pg_dump
archive. I am blown away by the performance increase in PostgreSQL 8.1.x.
Has anyone else had a chance to test it? All the queries I run against it
are remarkably fast but more importantly I can see that the two cores of my
Hyper Threaded P4 are being used. One of the questions I posted on this
list was whether PostgreSQL could make use of the large number of cores
available on the Ultrasparc T1000/T2000 cores. I am beginning to think that
with PostgreSQL 8.1.x the buffer manager could indeed use all those cores.
This could make running a DSS or OLTP on an Ultrasparc T1000/T2000 with
PostgreSQL a much better bargain than on an intel system. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Juan