Re: [Bizgres-general] WAL bypass for INSERT, UPDATE and DELETE?

From: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
To: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, bizgres-general <bizgres-general(at)pgfoundry(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [Bizgres-general] WAL bypass for INSERT, UPDATE and DELETE?
Date: 2005-12-22 20:18:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Dec 22, 2005 at 12:37:51PM -0600, Jim C. Nasby wrote:
> I do think this needs to be something that is made either completely
> transparent or must be specifically enabled. As described, I believe
> this would break PITR, so users should have to specifically request that
> behavior (and they should probably get a WARNING message, too).

This reminds me of a friend who used MSSQL that had replication going
that broke every time you did a certain statement. It may have been
SELECT INTO [1]. His main problem was that the replication would
stop working silently. We need to be waving red flags if we broke
someone's backup procedure.

Considering "WAL bypass" is code for "breaks PITR", I think we really
need to make sure people realise that running such a command breaks
their backups/replication/whatever people are doing.

[1] http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/trblsql/tr_reslsyserr_1_1r94.asp

Have a nice day,