BUG #2116: Searching text fields does not work in EUC_JP

From: "Jon Keating" <jon_keating(at)gcnet(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BUG #2116: Searching text fields does not work in EUC_JP
Date: 2005-12-15 02:27:49
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference: 2116
Logged by: Jon Keating
Email address: jon_keating(at)gcnet(dot)co(dot)jp
PostgreSQL version: 8.1.1
Operating system: Win 2003
Details:

Hello, I found a problem with 8.1.0 so I upgraded to 8.1.1 but the issue
still persists.

I have a database with the default encoding set to EUC_JP and the client
(using pgAdmin III) is set to EUC_JP as well. THe issue is the following
query:

SELECT * FROM stock WHERE name = ''; <-- Searching by
japanese text

This query returns nothing, but if I change the name = '... to name LIKE '..
it returns the data that I expect.

On my local machine (Win XP Pro SP2), I have an older version of PostgreSQL,
8.0.3 where the search by = works as expected. I am a little leary of
upgrading to 8.1.1 on my local machine since I need it on a daily basis to
work with these kinda queries.

Thanks,
Jon