Re: client encoding mismatch help!

From: Ludek Finstrle <luf(at)pzkagis(dot)cz>
To: Frank R Callaghan <f(dot)callaghan(at)ieee(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: client encoding mismatch help!
Date: 2005-12-13 23:46:22
Lists: pgsql-odbc

> > It seems you are trying psqlodbc on Windows. Am I right?
> Yes Win2000 at the moment - Xp, 98 & ME to follow)

Ok.

> > It is more helpful when you post us mylog output (both - Global and
> > DataSource settings).
> I can't generate a log file as I don't have a C-Drive
> and the logpath seems to be hard wired!

Could you specify drive letter? I'll prepare special DLLs with that
path.

> > Do you try ANSI or Unicode driver? Does problem exist with both types
> > of psqlODBC driver?
> I only saw one stable msi driver ! (but I guess I looked in the wrong place)

This msi is only install kit which contains two drivers:
1) psqlodbca.dll (ANSI one)
2) psqlodbcw.dll (Unicode one)
and other stuff.

You can see this drivers in ODBC Data Source Administrator in tab Drivers.
When you create new Data Source you have to choose one of drivers you have
installed in the system.
Is it clear now?

> > I hope you don't mean in 5 minutes ...
> No, 2 days (luxury)

Not so much ;-)

> I have solved the connect problem by rebuilding the database with
> --encoding=SQL_ANSII, I guess the database default to some other

It's strange. I have W2k too and database encoding is Unicode. I have
no problem with connect.

> allows the windows ODBC drivers to work (mostly) but now

I wonder what I'll see in mylog output.

> fails with my datawindow objects :( it seem the from ODBC 2 -> 3
> the TIMESTAMP field has changed some how, and the datawindow
> can't deal with it (first guess)!

I don't know about such change in psqlodbc. Don't you change backend?
What does it mean "can't deal with it". Could you describe your process
and point where does your expectation differ from reality?
I'm sorry I can't help you without mylog output.

> Is there some way to force the driver/database to use the old 2.0 ODBC
> format ?

I don't know. I don't take a look at this part yet.

Luf