Re: SHOW ALL output too wide

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Dennis Bjorklund <db(at)zigo(dot)dhs(dot)org>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: SHOW ALL output too wide
Date: 2005-12-01 21:36:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> > Dennis Bjorklund wrote:
> >> My motivation is only for the good of postgresql. If the majority want
> >> something else then that's what should happen (of course). I'm just
> >> stating my view, nothing less and nothing more.
>
> > I am surprised we have not gotten more comments about it. I personally
> > like the VERBOSE idea myself, but others didn't, so what we have now was
> > the consensus.
>
> Personally I'd vote for losing the description, ie, revert SHOW ALL to
> the way it was in 8.0 (and never mind the VERBOSE option, either).
> I don't find the descriptions to be a helpful addition.

The big question is whether general users will find the descriptions
helpful. I thought the agreement that they were, similar to how we have
psql \h help. It doesn't replace the documentation, but it does assist.

In fact, if we don't show the descriptions, why are we maintaining them?
Just for "SELECT * FROM pg_settings"?

I do think we have divergent opinions on this and that is why our
default now is so inconsistent. Can we get more comments from users?

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us