Re: [HACKERS] Upcoming PG re-releases

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Upcoming PG re-releases
Date: 2005-11-30 18:23:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-www

On Wednesday 30 November 2005 11:40, Tom Lane wrote:
> Personally I expect to keep supporting 7.3 for a long while, because Red
> Hat pays me to ;-) ... and the EOL date for RHEL3 is a long way away yet.
> The PG community may stop bothering with 7.3 releases before that. But
> I think Marc and Bruce figure "as long as the patches are in our CVS we
> may as well put out a release".

Yeah, thats one of the reasons I am skeptical about having official policies
on this type of thing. If Sun decided they wanted to maintain 7.2 and were
going to dedicate developers and testing for it, would we really turn that
away? OK, I don't really want to have this discussion again, but as of now I
think we are all agreed that 7.2 is unsupported.

> We hashed all this out in the pghackers list back in August, but I agree
> there ought to be something about it on the website.

We've been kicking it around but haven't moved much on this...

Marc, can you move the 7.2 branches in the FTP under the OLD directory?
http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/source/

We need to do the same with 7.2 documentation, moving them into the Manual
Archive http://www.postgresql.org/docs/manuals/archive.html. We can also
change the caption on the main documentation page to note these are manuals
for the current supported versions.

--
Robert Treat