Re: Reduce dependancies of postmaster (without --as-needed)

From: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
To: Larry Rosenman <ler(at)lerctr(dot)org>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Reduce dependancies of postmaster (without --as-needed)
Date: 2005-11-29 11:11:52
Lists: pgsql-patches

On Mon, Nov 28, 2005 at 04:47:38PM -0600, Larry Rosenman wrote:
> >Hmmm ... but given that, is it needed to mention libnsl in the link
> >command at all, or can the linker pick it up implicitly?
>
> I'm not 100% sure if the linker does the right thing or not :(
>
> It would be a good thing to test.
>
> I can make a shell account available (Tom, you actually have one on
> the box that output is from).

If you have a compiled source tree you can go to the backend directory
and run the commands I posted. After deleting the postgres executable
try:

make LIBS="-lsocket -lm" postgres

and see what kind of errors you get. In theory only dynamic loading
related symbols should be missing. I've gone through the CVS repository
to work out which platforms needed which lib before the use of autoconf
started. With some indication of what symbols are actually in the libs
in question we can refine the autoconf setup.

Thanks in advance,