Re: Reduce dependancies of postmaster (without --as-needed)

From: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Larry Rosenman <ler(at)lerctr(dot)org>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Reduce dependancies of postmaster (without --as-needed)
Date: 2005-11-28 22:53:24
Lists: pgsql-patches

On Mon, Nov 28, 2005 at 05:31:55PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> Larry Rosenman <ler(at)lerctr(dot)org> writes:
> >> -lnsl is needed on SVR4 derivatives, like Solaris and UnixWare. it is
> >> the network services library.
>
> > libsocket requires libnsl:
>
> > [1] NEEDED /usr/lib/libnsl.so.1
>
> Hmmm ... but given that, is it needed to mention libnsl in the link
> command at all, or can the linker pick it up implicitly?

Normal linkers automatically follow any NEEDED entries, that's why they
are there after all. I'm not ruling out bugs in the linker though.
That's why on most systems you can say -lreadline and not worry about
whether it uses curses or termcap.

And in any case, if it's only libsocket it that needs and we don't use
any symbols in it ourselves, then we surely don't need to reference it.
That's purely a dynamic linker issue.

Have a nice day,