PG_COMMAND_OK oid information required

From: Andy Chambers <andychambers2002(at)yahoo(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: PG_COMMAND_OK oid information required
Date: 2005-11-27 20:19:07
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Hi,

Would it be possible to provide more information in the PGResult object (or rather its associated functions) about operations that don't return a value of PG_RESULT_OK. Specifically, I believe, it would be useful for clients to know the oid's of values being inserted or updated.

That way, if it realizes there are many similar operations to carry out, it would be easier to use PQExecParams. The only way I can see of doing this currently would be to issue a

select <cols to insert>
from table
limit 1

to get the oids, and then prepare the insert statement using the info retrieved from the select. Am I missing something? Would a patch with this change be considered?

Thanks,
Andy Chambers