Re: "ld.so.1: /usr/local/pgsql/bin/initdb: fatal:

From: olive Mckenzie <olivemckenzie2003(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Jeff Frost <jeff(at)frostconsultingllc(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: "ld.so.1: /usr/local/pgsql/bin/initdb: fatal:
Date: 2005-11-19 22:41:53
Lists: pgsql-admin

setting it like you mention below will set it for this session only. Setting it in your .profile (Is solaris 10 still using /bin/sh and not bash as the default shell?) should make it available for each login. I don't have a solaris 10 machine to look at right now, but in most linux distros, you can set system wide environemnt variables in /etc/profile.d, I would guess that Solaris 10 has a similar setup.

Also, on linux machines, there is an /etc/ld.so.conf which has contains the system wide search path for shared libs, solaris 10 has something similar in /var/ld for 32bit and 64bit libs. You can change this by running the crle command (Configure Runtime Linker Environment).

In solaris 10 there is no bin.sh file and /etc/profile.d does exit either. However there is a file called "profile" in /etc/

I can find "ld.so.1" in /usr/lib/ and /lib/amd64 and /lib/ should this go in my LD_LIBRARY_PATH as well? I cannot find a /etc/ld.so.conf

/var/ld for 32bit and 64bit libs. You can change this by running the crle command (Configure Runtime Linker Environment).

from the man pages for "crle" for 32-bit objects there is a default configuration file /var/ld/ld.config and for 64-bit objects the default configuration file is /var/ld/64/ld.config.

This all sounds good as I was warned when installing some software that /usr/local/lib/libgcc_s.so and /usr/local/lib/libc++.so and /usr/local/lib/libc++.so.5 are no longer a symbolic link

I will have to see how to use crle.

Olive

Jeff Frost <jeff(at)frostconsultingllc(dot)com> wrote: setting it like you mention below will set it for this session only. Setting

On Sat, 19 Nov 2005, olive Mckenzie wrote:

> Is this how one set the LD_LIBRARY_PATH for bourne shell Solaris 10 x86
> # LD_LIBRARY_PATH =/opt/sfw/lib
> # export LD_LIBRARY_PATH
>
> or is there an init file I should insert it into.
>
> Olive
>

> Jeff Frost wrote:
> Olive,
>
> You need to locate the libreadline.so.4 shared library on your system. I'm
> guessing it's not in any of the standard locations and then add that path to
> your LD_LIBRARY_PATH. You might also need to install libreadline if you do
> not have it available on your system.
>
> I'm curious as to why initdb is kicking off when you su to the postgres user
> though. Is this how the solaris pkg is set up?

match