Re: Function written in C, hangs on one machine and not another...

From: CG <cgg007(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Douglas McNaught <doug(at)mcnaught(dot)org>, Dennis Jenkins <dennis(dot)jenkins(at)sbcglobal(dot)net>
Cc: postgresql listserv <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Function written in C, hangs on one machine and not another...
Date: 2005-10-28 20:17:01
Lists: pgsql-general

Thanks to the great suggestions I've at least gotten it to not hang...

Martijn's hint about blocking led me to open up those filehandles in a
non-blocking mode. It appears that write() will write, at a maximum, only 4096
bytes when it is called from within PostgreSQL. I've tried to push data into it
in <=4096-byte slugs, but after 4096 bytes it just won't take anymore. Since (I
think) using a non-blocking mode could cause problems with thread safety, it's
probably a lost cause.

I'm new to C, so this may seem extremely naive: I'm not sure how to use exec()
to solve this problem. Could you give me a few pointers to get me started?

http://farechase.yahoo.com