Re: How to speed up the database query?

From: Bruno Wolff III <bruno(at)wolff(dot)to>
To: Abdul Wahab Dahalan <wahab(at)mimos(dot)my>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How to speed up the database query?
Date: 2005-10-27 16:31:10
Lists: pgsql-sql

On Thu, Oct 27, 2005 at 15:03:36 +0800,
Abdul Wahab Dahalan <wahab(at)mimos(dot)my> wrote:
> Hi everyone!
>
> I'm looking for solution to speed up the database query, means that to get resultset as quicker as we can.
>
> For example if I've 700 records in the table it will take longer time compared if I've only 20 records. How do we speed up the query?. Any query technique that can be applied?.
>
> Thus wild card query like : select * from tableA will cause query time increased compare to say select a,b from tableA.
>
> any help, prettymuch appreciated.

Why don't you run explain analyze on the real query you are trying to speed up
and show us the output along with the query and relevant table and view
definitions.

Yes, specifying fewer columns will probably significantly speed things up,
as you will be transmitting less data over the network. There aren't magic
ways to speed up queries return every row in a table.