Sneak preview of a new generation of front end GUI for PostgreSQL

From: "kevin cheung" <kevincheung(at)mail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-announce(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Sneak preview of a new generation of front end GUI for PostgreSQL
Date: 2005-10-24 08:23:24
Lists: pgsql-announce

An introduction of a new front end GUI for PostgreSQL user. Although this
GUI is still in its beta testing stage, I do not hesitate to recommend it
to all GUI users here. Disclaimer: I am not the developer or other
interested party of the below mentioned products. I am a two years happy
user of Navicat for MySQL and recently, I was given a beta version of its
newly invented product - Navicat for PostgreSQL. I was surprised and
excited to know that Navicat finally supports PostgreSQL and indeed, I
was considering to migrate from MySQL to PostgreSQL for the time being.
While testing the new GUI, I have also tried out other PostgreSQL
administration tools such as PgAdmin and pgaccess. Since this new product
is still in its beta stage, I found some minor bugs, however, I think it
is inevitable for a pre-release product. If talking about its major
features, I can say it surpasses other GUI tools that I have tried so
far. It features an intuitive interface with a comprehensive user
management system and supports multiple database connection. I am
impressed with its high productivity, automation, and powerful import and
export capabilities. Since Navicat for PostgreSQL has not been released,
here is a sneak preview of the features that Navicat possesses according
to my observation. Major features:
Visual Query Builder
Report Builder
SSH Tunnel for remote database connection
Database transfer from server to server
Data and Structure Synchronization
Data backup and restore
Import/ Export of Access, Excel, XML, etc to and from PostgreSQL
Scheduling of all the above action
Easy-to-use wizards for the above action It appears to support all of the
latest PostgreSQL features such as tablespaces, argument names in
functions, and so on. Anyone who is also interested in trying out this
beta version can download it at
http://www.navicat.com/download/pgnavicat2005trial.exe or check out
http://www.navicat.com to see if it would reveal the release date of this
fantastic product.