Re: Excellent PGSQL Tutorial, WinXP as Service - Configure for Manual Operation

From: <operationsengineer1(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Excellent PGSQL Tutorial, WinXP as Service - Configure for Manual Operation
Date: 2005-10-22 22:13:22
Lists: pgsql-novice

> hi all,
>
> i followed this winxp install tutorial and it is the
> best one i found for pgsql newbies.
>
> http://viu.eng.rpi.edu/lab/1/s1_1.html
>
> due to the lack of documentation, i would recommend
> that anybody new to pgsql should install as a
> service.
> however, some folks may not want to run it as a
> service all the time - and you don't need to. you
> can
> configure it to start and stop manually.
>
> i remember seeing this posted her a while back by
> Andreas (i think)...
>
> >>I know only the cygwin way, yet, but this doesn't
> matter. Even a service can be manually started, if
> you define it as "manual" instead of "automatic" in
> the service-dialoge of Windows.
>
> Set postmaster to "manual" and start it afterwards
> in
> a cmd-window with NET START postmaster use NET STOP
> postmaster to ... well ... stop it ;)
>
> I guess postmaster wouldn't be peed off even if you
> let it run into system shutdown since Windows will
> stop running services automatically.<<
>
> to build upon it for newer folks, i'd just add that
> double clicking services.msc will open the services
> diologue box (if there is another easier access
> point,
> do chime in). of course, you can do a search for
> service.msc (make sure that system files are
> visible).
>
> as i do with all my web development related
> applications and configuration files, i add it to a
> folder that is linked to a toolbar on the taskbar so
> have easy access.
>
> once the services dialogue is open, find "postgresql
> database server 8.0", right click on its line and
> choose properties. under startup type, choose
> "manual", click apply and then click ok.
>
> you don't have to go to the commandline (you can if
> you wish, though). in service properties, you will
> see "service status" with start, stop, pause and
> resume options (some may be grayed out if not
> applicable). you can control your server from here.
>
> i set up apache2 in a similar manner.
>
> if you go to the commandline, make sure you type in
> the service name. in this case it would be...
>
> net start "postgresql database server 8.0"
>
> or
>
> net stop "postgresql database server 8.0"
>
> ...and don't forget the quotes.
>
> i don't much like microsoft too much anymore, so i'm
> beginning the transition over to linux (probably
> debian based simplymepis for the desktop, straight
> debian for a server). i do have winxp set up and
> running my web programs on two computers, though,
> and
> i will probably have to use winxp over the next year
> or two.
>
> i guess i just have a whole lot more stuff to learn.
> ;-)

here's another way to get to the services manager...

start -> control panel -> administrative tools ->
services (double click) -> PostgreSQL Database Server
8.0 (right click).

from here, you can choose properties and a window with
options opens up.

you will also notice, after you right click, that you
can choose to start, stop, etc. from the display menu.

i hoep this helps someone.

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs