Re: Converting from LATIN1 to UNICODE encoding?

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Scott Eade <seade(at)backstagetech(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Converting from LATIN1 to UNICODE encoding?
Date: 2005-09-21 14:40:32
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Wed, Sep 21, 2005 at 06:16:31PM +1000, Scott Eade wrote:
> I have a database that was created using the LATIN1 encoding.
>
> Is it necessary for me to convert the database to some other encoding
> (e.g. UNICODE) before I can store non-LATIN1 characters or does
> PostgreSQL catch these and encode them somehow?
>
> I have actually been attempting to convert a database by doing a pg_dump
> (from the LATIN1 database) followed by a pg_restore (to one created with
> the UNICODE encoding). Seemed to work with a sparsely populated 8.0.3
> database, but I am running into all sorts of problems with 7.3.10 (e.g.
> corrupted database followed by corrupted pg_clog).

Hmm. Do tell, what database did you use as template? Was it correctly
frozen? If not, has it suffered from Xid wraparound?

Try dumping the template database. If it succeeds, then it's OK. If it
complains in the same way, with a missing pg_clog file, there lies the
problem.

--
Alvaro Herrera http://www.planetpostgresql.org
"En las profundidades de nuestro inconsciente hay una obsesiva necesidad