How to do mass upload

From: Srinivas Iyyer <srini_iyyer_bio(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: How to do mass upload
Date: 2005-09-14 22:36:27
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hello group:

I have two different types of data. this data is
processed to derive a set of values.

I am trying to store the data in a database using
postgres.

I have designed two tables for two different types of
raw data. I designed one another table for storing
the processed values from both raw data tables.

Example:
Raw_T_A is Raw data table A
Raw_T_B is raw data table B
Proc_T is processed data table

Raw_T_A
A_Ind_No. colA colB colC colD colE

Raw_T_B
B_Ind.No colA colB colC colD colE

Proc_T
Proc_Ind.No XX YY colA colB colD

Question:
What is the better way of the design so that if I
query Proc_T i get to know the data row comes from
Raw_T_A or Raw_T_B. If I have to fill XX for
A_Ind_No. and YY to B_Ind.No, what is the better way.

I am confused.

Question 2:
Previously for small database, to upload massive data
into tables, I wrote a Python script to take each data
from various tables and made to write SQL statement.
Because, each data file had more than 100K lines,
incorporating data into those tables took hell lot of
time.

I know that COPY statement lets one to upload easily,
however, unfortunately it works only as super user.

Although I have user rights to create a table and
database, I could not use COPY.

Is there any other way to use COPY or any other SQL
command similar to COPY that a user can use instead of
admin guy. ADMIN refuses to hear my request.

Can any one please please help me.

Thank you

In this context I have two questions:

Yahoo! for Good