Database Migration

From: <operationsengineer1(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Database Migration
Date: 2005-09-09 23:49:34
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi All,

i'm facing a db / data migration issue. i have 3 dbs.

my dev box is pgsql 7.4.6 (laptop, winxp / cygwin)
my current production box is 7.3.x (webhost, linux)
my new production box is 8.03 (in-house, linux)

my dev db is waaaay ahead of my production db b/c i
had to code a lot of pages to include some
functionality.

i'm thinking about doing this two ways.

1. dump my table structures from my dev box and then
fill it with data from the 7.3.x production db and
hope there are are no glitches.
2. build the pgsql 8.03 from scratch and then fill it
with data from the 7.3.x production db and hope there
are are no glitches.

do these options sound reasonable? will 7.4.6 data
types conflict with 8.03 data types?

tia...