Re: New Survey: where did you get your PostgreSQL?

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, PostgreSQL WWW <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: New Survey: where did you get your PostgreSQL?
Date: 2005-09-09 16:05:07
Lists: pgsql-www

On Fri, 9 Sep 2005, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> David Fetter wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Sep 07, 2005 at 11:07:12PM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
>>
>>> Survey:
>>>
>>> Where did you get your current production copy of PostgreSQL from?
>>>
>>> 1) FTP/Bittorrent from PostgreSQL.org
>>> 2) In a Linux distribution
>>> 3) In the Ports Collection
>>> 4) From some other Open Source web site
>>> 5) Some other way
>>>

>> What about packages for Windows & Mac? Also, why the bias towards
>> source installs and *n*x systems?
>>
> Well I think the reason for the bias is obvious... you aren't l33t
> unless you are doing source installs with a *n*x system. Well
> really that doesn't even qualify... it has to be a FreeBSD *n*x
> system. ;)

Actually, 3 doesn't necessarily == source install either, since almost all
"ports" are available as pre-built binaries that you can download and
install ... its still all considered part of the "Ports Collection" though

Same as with Linux, where you can download either the .rpm or the .srpm, I
believe?

But, I agree with Robert's list, vs this one, since "Ports" should be
classified as "With Operating System Distribution" ... try and make it
more generic, since we don't mention Solaris packages in the above, etc

----