Re: [BUGS] PSQL commands not backwards-compatible

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com, PostgreSQL-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [BUGS] PSQL commands not backwards-compatible
Date: 2005-08-31 03:35:36
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-patches

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005, Tom Lane wrote:

>> Here is a patch that will print out (in interactive mode only) a warning
>> message if a newer client connects to an older major numbered server.
>
> Why only older? It's even less likely to work if the server is newer.
>
> (I don't agree with the premise to begin with...)

An example of where this sort of 'obvious warning' is in an environment
like ours, where we have several different version of PostgreSQL running,
and *try* to make sure each version of psql is available to our clients,
but a client inadvertantly runs the wrong version against their database
... its only psql that has the "helper commands", like \d, so the only
thing that *really* makes a different between versions ...

----